A Naive Perspective of a Childless Couple


Holding my beautiful new niece! 

I've been thinking about this topic for quite a while. I decided that when we do have children, I want to remember where my state of mind was in regards to what it'd be like to have a family.

I recently read an article about what not to say to newborn parents. As I read, I realized that I said most everything on that list. Not because I was trying to be annoying but because I didn't know anything about what the experience was like. It made me realize how little I know about parenthood "in action".  So here goes my list of naive ideals.

Traveling
We love to travel. Austin's family lives far away and we plan on traveling to see them at least once a year, even after we have kids. In fact, we're on an airplane right now to visit his brother.

I can't help but think that traveling with kids can't be that hard. They'll listen to me and behave as I wish them too.  (I say this as the kid behind me is kicking my seat and not coughing into his hand, like his mother keeps telling him to.  It's obvious to me that I live in my own sweet innocent world!)

A Walk in the Park
I picture blissful moments of playing in the park without a care in the world. My children will play nice with others, be courteous, and listen to instructions given.

Grocery shopping
Helpful children will assist me by asking to push the cart and watch their younger siblings while I search for items on the grocery list. They won't complain or ask to buy frivolous items. They will be content and happy.

Our first color run! Austin was a goblin for the night! We forgot to clean the seat belts and the next day he had a diagonal streak across his church clothes! Oops! 

Family Outdoor adventures
We plan on being involved in community events like 5k's and other outdoor activities, where we can bond and celebrate health. Our kids may want to walk or be pushed in a stroller but they will definitely enjoy the family outing and think that it is one of the best family activities ever!

Chores and character
We will come up with a set game plan of what is expected and what rewards we will give. Our children will abide by our rules and understand the long term benefits they will have from doing so. They will not lie, steal or act without integrity.

While this all seems like wishful thinking, I'm sure that in each of these categories there will be times that the stars will align and moments where magic will happen. Most couples wanting to have children imagine these magical moments and most couples with children, use these moments to get through the... less magical ones.

For now, I will hold onto my ideals because I hope that, as a parent, I will find moments where unrealistic notions will become brief realities.

Comments

  1. There are so many magical moments as parents!! The reality is that we don't get to decide where, when, or how they happen. But they do happen...and they are so worth the wait! You are going to be great aprenys, even when your kids aren't creating magic!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary Kay! Good points, magic will happen whenever and however it decides to. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And why not? You've got to hope for and plan for the best and you will smile anyway through the rest !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts