Putting the "Tri" in Triathlon

Well folks, it's official.  I decided to sign up for a sprint triathlon that's in 4 weeks.  For those who don't know, a sprint triathlon involves a 300 meter swim, 10 mile bike ride, and a 2 mile run.

So you might think I'm crazy, but I signed up for this event before even owning a bike! "Yeah, no big deal, I'll figure it out, right?!"  So this past week, we bought three used mountain bikes off of Craiglist and were able to piece together two working ones.  On my first cycling adventure, I didn't realize how nervous I would be! Starting, stopping and turning all seemed to be a challenge! ("What else is there?" you might ask, well I can go straight pretty good...)

In my defense, growing up in a small town, on dirt roads, didn't lend itself to easily learn the skill.  Back in the day, I used to share a banana seat Barbi bike with my sister.  Random memory: I'm pretty sure she crashed it  down our driveway and scraped up her face... don't worry, she has a very nice face now, and the crash didn't do any permanent damage!  

Anyways, sometimes when I ride a bike, I feel like I'm Zoolander... you know, with the whole turning issue...


  I can do big turns, but the smaller, tighter turns make me real wobbly.  Today, I even had my first bike crash, in some gravel, when I was attempting one!  Unfortunately, I'm finding that my "incredibly good looks" are not doing anything to help me in this area. Maybe I should just build a "School for Kids Who Can't read Good and Want to Do Other Stuff Good too" instead. 

(Too much Zoolander?  OK, I'll bring it back.)

Anyways, for those not familiar with triathlons, it is often said that the swimming is the most difficult part.  I've never taken "official" swim lessons, and don't claim to know much about how to perform the task well, but I have a way of "not drowning" that seems to work fine.  As I'm teaching myself how to do a proper front crawl, I find that I tire easily and sometimes think, "why is it a good idea to put my head under water... where I can't breath?"  I'm also positive that as soon as the lifeguard sees me swimming, she's thinking, "I better keep an eye on that one!"  Last week I went snorkeling in the Caribbean with my dad and I've decided, that if I could use a snorkel in my race, then I'd be golden!



Anyways, so after hearing all of that, some of you may wonder, why would I sign up for this event, and what does it have to do with adoption? 

Well, the answer is that it has nothing to do with adoption and that is why I signed up for it.  Adopting is a roller coaster and this is my way of keeping my mind off things I can't control.  We've had some potential opportunities come up, but nothing solid.  As much as I want to be selfish, I know the Lord has a plan for us, and we will patiently wait as long as needed.  Until then, I'll keep myself busy, expanding my horizons and challenging myself.  

I'll check back in after my triathlon, if I survive...  :)

Comments

Popular Posts