Ode to Austin, Conqueror of Birthdays and Bar Exams



"Now that's a man that won't let you starve." Those are the words an accountant used to describe Austin one year when preparing our taxes. 

Going to the accountant without Austin always makes me a little nervous. No matter how much I prepare (I'm talking bank statements, old tax records, my firstborn child... etc), they inevitably ask me questions that I don't know the answers to without asking Austin. Unfortunately, this leads to incoherent thoughts coming out of my mouth without a clear point and sometimes even frustrating phone calls.

On this particular occasion, the year was 2014. As you can imagine it was quite magical as I sat at the accountant's desk, in a musky office, where I could smell how good of a deal I was getting. Austin was not present and if I had to call him about another question I was going to poke my eye out. Luckily, my eye was saved by the pleasant turn of events which led us away from knives and frustration, and towards something like this: 

With her nose stuck in the paperwork, the accountant asked me, "What's this 1099 for?" 
"That's when Austin sold Cutco knives", I said. 
She rummaged on to the next one, "ok, and Austin also went to law school last year?" She said it like a question even though it was a statement. I nodded to confirm. After continuing through the next few documents she learned that he was also in the military, remodeled a house for an investment property, worked at Whirlpool for an internship, and finally nailed down a Patent job in Arizona... all in the same calendar year. 

After going through all that she looked at me and stated, "Now that's a man that won't let you starve".  It took me a minute, but once I was able to grasp what she said, I knew it to be true. 

I've decided that this post would be an "Ode to Austin" of sorts for all the big moments that have happened recently and will happen in the near future. A few of these include passing the AZ state bar, his birthday, and our upcoming 10-year anniversary. And since I'm so good at "ode-ing" this is what I've come up with... 


Ode to Austin, My Precious Husband 😉

Our memories echo off the walls of a house we've made into a home. 
The dress of white I wore that day, the pictures around us roam. 

The moments we've had, the laughter we've shared, all constantly move along.
It's a river that flows with you by my side, a constant rhythm to song.
Once I heard that a kite flies high, only when grounded with string.
I am that kite that yearns to fly and you my foundations King.

You defeat great beasts with the stroke of your pen and spreadsheets run to hide. 
You conquer all with humility and force, with a backbone of love inside. 

Your stern protection yet tender love are the perfect contradiction.
Your strengths oppose mine and mine oppose yours, we're a perfect imperfection.

Thank you Austin for your ambition, hard work, and companionship. We are as opposite as can be in many respects and I love that we fit together like two puzzle pieces, complimenting each others strengths and filling in each other's weaknesses. Congratulations on passing the bar exam and I look forward to being by your side as you continue to accomplish your dreams!



Comments

Popular Posts