Mother's Day: The "Well Deserved yet Somewhat Awkward" Day of the Year

Not going to lie, Mother's Day is probably one of the more awkward days of the year for me.  People try to make it not awkward and that's nice and much appreciated, but it's still awkward. Luckily, it takes a lot for me to get offended, so any tactless comments that may emerge I can usually brush off.

In all honesty, I usually forget Mother's Day is even coming until FB gets slammed with "mother's this" and "mother's that".   Then, instead of feeling sorry for myself, I am usually reminded of how terrible a daughter I am because I forgot to get my Mom and my Mother-in-law a present! I'd like to think that once I am a mom, and am hoping for recognition or gifts on this holiday, that I'll be more aware of getting my two very special mothers a gift as well. I guess only time will tell.

Until then, my dearest mothers, please consider the following as your Mother's Day gift this year:
2006 Trip to Mexico

To my Mom: the more I grow in years and wisdom (haha), the more I can see the path you've guided me on. I see our many similarities and I feel it a blessing to be more like you every day. I am touched by your ever growing testimony of Jesus Christ and your love for people and service.  You also help me see how important it is to have fun and be silly in life, a priceless lesson that has made a big impact on me.


2014 in California

To my Mother-in-law: as I've grown to know you over the years I've come to love and appreciate the beauty you create and the service you give to your family. You are a hard worker and a kind friend. I am so grateful you taught your son good principles that he has held on to. He is a good man and a great husband. On a side note, I love hearing you whistle while working in the kitchen, it always makes me smile!

So even though I'm not a mother, and even though this holiday may sometimes make me emotional for selfish reasons, I want everyone to know that I am an official supporter of Mother's Day.  I love the two women who brought Austin and I into this world, who taught us correct principles and who have loved us continually. All mothers deserve a day dedicated to love and recognition for the battles they face daily.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!!!!

Comments

  1. You are a blessing to me and our family. Thank you for kind words and blessed memories we share. . . In time. . . . I'm just certain of it!! I am!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. some day you WILL have a baby to squeeze and love on but until then, please remember all the girls you HAVE helped to mother. the girls you have taught in yw, the nieces you love to death (in the words of sis dew, "i'll be the best auntie ever!" you bless the lives of all you touch!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts